jeudi 22 octobre 2015

Windows 10 install - solution to the Windows key + E key dysfunction

I've now successfully installed Windows 10 on a tablet, 2 laptops and finally a desktop machine. The desktop install took a couple of goes since both the first and then a second time round I found that I couldn't use the Windows key & E to open Windows Explorer. It wasn't a complete lockout since I could access directories by double clicking on an empty folder I had lying around on the desktop.

First time round the Win key + E problem, malfunctioning right click, + other issues to do with a dual screen display persuaded me to roll back to Windows 7 Ultimate. The rollback was unbelievably fast - although I was warned it would last hours, in fact I was back with Windows 7 in about 20 minutes.

Three weeks later curiosity overcame my desire for stability at all costs. I repeated the Win 10 install - although the install was a lot smoother this time around I found I still had the same Win key + E dysfunction - the most basic Windows key combination still didn't work.

I did a trawl on the Internet and finally found a thread talking about a small standalone programme called ShellExView - a shell extensions manager. This programme allows you to view and control shell extensions. I first disabled all non-Microsoft shell extensions and immediately it was problem solved. Thanks to Nir Sofer for writing such a useful programme.

Oh and finally for any Sony Vaio users who have been warned against upgrading your laptops, I would recommend going for it, it has completely revitalised a 2011 era laptop, not just by speeding it up loads but also solving a problem with the USB ports into the bargain.


Windows 10 install - solution to the Windows key + E key dysfunction

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire