jeudi 30 juillet 2015

Creating Network shares \ mapping network drives

This might be of interest to a few ...
For ages not I've had all my "stuff" stored on NAS boxes attached to my network ... it's a relic from my working days...

Top and bottom is all my "special places" appear as a "mapped" network drives ... once set up it's simple to access documents, music, photos ... all my digital life in fact is stored in my LAN.

Now we have Windows 10.
I converted yesterday and I've been configuring various things....

I started yesterday with the online log on ... e-mail and password.
Quite a lot of the settings from the insider preview have synced over to my "real" machine.

And being helpful - this morning windows suggested I might like to use a PIN to log in with... seemed worth a try ... so I went with it.

Then I accessed the network and sharing centre checked the settings and changed the workgroup.

Then I went to create the map
\\192.168.254.151\myshare - entered the ID and password ... Unable to connect to the server.
Tried browsing the network - unable to access the network.

I checked just about every configuration option I could think of ... windows 10 was fine on the internet ... but it wouldn't access my humble network.

Went to stressco with Mrs I ... came back ... and started the machine.

The log on came up ... asking for a PIN ... but there was an extra button ... offering me logon options.

I clicked that ... and there was an option to enter my e-mail password.

I went for that ... and tried to map the drive for the 100000th time ...
Success!!!
I quickly mapped up all the drives I use.

Then logged off ... logged in using the PIN ... and there they all were ... working a treat.

I tried to map another ... and windows reported it was unable to access the server!!!!
So it appears that if you log in to 10 using a PIN ... you only get a restricted set of access rights... or possibly administrator rights.


Creating Network shares \ mapping network drives

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire