vendredi 31 juillet 2015

Sticky Keys and the On-Screen Keyboard

Recently I fractured my left wrist which has been a bit inconvenient even though I'm mainly right-handed - it means I have only 1 finger to type with instead of 2! One thing which is very awkward is when you need to use 2 or 3 keys at once - Ctrl+Alt+Delete, Ctrl+Shift+S (opens the sidebar in Opera), Ctrl+Shift+L (allows you to 'paste and go' or 'paste and search' in Internet Explorer) and so on. I've found 2 ways round this so far:

1. On-Screen Keyboard
This lets you do things which need 2 or 3 keys to be pressed simultaneously by using your mouse pointer. Keys such as Ctrl effectively remain pressed until the command is completed. You can use the AltGr key to get accented vowels this way too - á, é, í, ó, ú.

2. Sticky Keys
You can enable this feature by going to Control Panel>Ease of Access Center (sic), then click on 'Make the keyboard easier to use'. Under 'Make it easier to type', tick 'Turn on Sticky Keys' then click 'Set up Sticky Keys'. I the new window, tick 'Turn on Sticky Keys' again, then untick 'Turn off Sticky Keys when two keys are pressed at once' - this will allow you to click Ctrl then C or V [I][U]separately[U][I] to Copy or Paste something without the need to press the keys simultaneously - AltGr will work this way too. Apply and OK the changes you've made.

I hope this all makes sense as I've found these procedures very useful.


Sticky Keys and the On-Screen Keyboard

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire