mardi 29 avril 2014

Once in a Lifetime!

Once in a Lifetime was an amazing match was it not? Is Cena not one of the greatest "Big main event" match workers of all time?



A little backstory: Cena and The Rock two of the faces on WWE's Mt. Rushmore had real life beef a while back. Just like in the world of pro wrestling real life beef turns into cash. WM 27 The Rock made his return home to the WWE and took some verbal jabs at Cena. This ended up leading to them making the main event of WrestleMania 28 one year in advance. There it was in the history books April 1, 2012, WrestleMania 28, one of the greatest attractions of all time and I will make the case one of the greatest matches of all time, the world witnessed John Cena vs The Rock in the main event with the Tagline: Once in a Lifetime.



I got the urge to rewatch the match and the preceding video packages last night. At this point I was in more of a wrestling mind frame than I usually am and I really picked up on some things I hadn't previously. The first time I watched this match as it was happening I admit I was rooting for Cena because I felt his sentiments of how The Rock had left us. I was a huge Rocky fan for a long time. When I watched it last night though, not to sound weird, but I felt that connection with The Rock like I had all those times so many years ago. When he came out, it was as if he had never left and it was amazing the connection from the people to the people's champion.



That brings me to one of the reasons why I love the match. It has such a huge fight feel. Cena damn near always brings that dynamic to his matches and The Rock does as well. When you add that into the crowd doing their thing, all the anticipation leading to this match for over a year prior, the feud and build itself you'll see that the match just seems like a major deal. As much as I was annoyed by the singing when I watched it live, I hate to admit that all of that helped add to the atmosphere of one of the greatest attractions ever.



I love the story of this match. I've heard people bring up how Cena came out not acting very serious but I argue that was intentional and a way to add to the story that was being told. Leading up to the match they had Cena out talking The Rock the majority of the time, and looking like Cena was a sure thing to win. Cena came out to an arena full of boos exuding confidence. That's why he wasn't being serious when he came out because he was playing the confident, borderline arrogant guy who knows he has the match won. This arrogance would be his downfall in the end. The Rock also came out showing confidence but it was the smoother kind of confidence that shows that he knows what he had to do to win the match and that's what he was going to do.



Another reason why I like this match ties into the previous paragraph. It's one of the few times during Cena's top guy run that they've let him work more as a heel in the match. Cena was showing great psychology by working on the ribs of The Rock and The Rock was selling like Cena was killing him. That was beautiful IMO. Cena worked all of the rest holds as well. He attacked the ribs early in the match and stayed on them for the rest of it. He also played the subtle confident heel during the match with his facial expressions and his demeanor. That is until they kicked it up another notch it was the "Maybe I bit off more than I can chew" look that we got from Cena and The Rock at certain points in the match. In the end Cena's overconfidence would be his downfall when he tried to attempt The Rock's finisher and was countered and pinned for the 3 count. They worked the match perfectly with that same dynamic that was there throughout the first half of the feud.



The way this match ended perfectly and logically led into the sequel. Cena's confidence had gotten the better of him and he suffered the worst loss of his career. The Rock had gotten the job done just like he set out to do. This made it so for the rematch the roles were slightly reversed. The Rock was the one with the confidence while Cena was the one that had been humbled. Cena ended up learning from his prior mistake and outsmarted The Rock to pick up the victory and the WWE title in the rematch of Once in a Lifetime.



I think when you look at everything that goes into a match, especially the main event of a WrestleMania objectively, this is one of the greatest matches of all time. Now I'm not saying that solely based on in ring work but based on that combined with every other aspect of the match it's one of the greatest ever. :worship: to The Rock and John Cena for putting on such an amazing match.



I'd like to hear some of you guy's thoughts on this but I'd like to hear them in some what detail. Sorry if I went on a little long :shrug:but these are just some thoughts I had while watching the match again early this morning/last nght. TL;DR is The Rock vs Cena at WM 28 was an amazing match and if you look at it in every way it's one of the greatest. I then go on to explain why I think so. Thoughts?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire