lundi 21 septembre 2015

Novice looking for advice

My laptop recently died due to some kind of hard drive failure. Upon booting the machine simply states that it can't find the HDD. I've followed various guides around the internet but nothing has enabled me to resurrect the machine. I eventually gave in and bought a new laptop, consigning the other to the attic.

Recently my daughter has been asking for a laptop on which she can do her homework and I wondered if I might fix up the old one to save some money. I know I can fit a new HDD for a reasonable price but this is where my novice levels of IT knowledge begin to hinder me. How would I then get the necessary software on there to make it work? The restore options I created when the laptop were new have been lost (presumably while moving house) so they are not an option - I always intended to make backups but never got around to it (Lesson learned!). I assume I may be able to get some of these files/drivers from the website of the manufacturer?

In terms of an o/s I have the license details for Windows 7 Professional edition. Would I be able to download and install it to the new HDD? Or would MS want me to buy a new license? Would I be better off installing a version of Linux?

Is all this possible or is the laptop truly dead?


Novice looking for advice

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire