mercredi 30 septembre 2015

Recycle bin left overs

I'm not sure that this belongs in a specific Windows version forum but here goes. My Recycle bin seems to be keeping stuff to itself. Can anybody tell me what is happening? I have an explanation and some speculations below?

I have a 700Gb partition, not on my main OS drive, which I use purely for data, backups etc. Recently when searching, using Everything search, on that partition I discovered thousands of files within the folder $Recycle.Bin. So showing system files I examined the folder and found within it a Recycle Bin folder and 8 other folders all with names beginning S-1-5- which I believe are the OS codes for different users. I am the sole user but looking at the last modified dates of the folders I think these are in fact left-over recycle bins from previous installations of Windows. On this particular 700Gb partition these 8 folders accounted for just short of 100,000 files and took up more than 100Gb of drive space.

Within the last few weeks I have emptied the Recycle bin and so it is clear that this emptying operation is ignoring all these left over bins. The OS does allow me to permanently delete the folders, after telling me that they are too big to recycle (an interesting message given that they seem to be already in the Recycle bin but, at the same time, suggesting that the OS sees them as ordinary folders).

Has anybody come across this and is there any way to prevent it from happening if I have to re-install (refresh or whatever the current word is) my operating system.

David


Recycle bin left overs

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire