dimanche 27 juillet 2014

WWE Network: Am I The Only One Insane Here?

As I was browsing the headlines of WrestleZone this weekend, I came across the following link with Mark Madden comparing pay per view events to Monday Night RAW, amusingly labelling them as Sunday Night RAW:



Click here to read the Mark Madden article, if you haven't already.



I do want to discuss matters that have spun off from this discussion, that being in particular the fact that EVERY special event/pay per view is available for viewing. Something that I would say is probably worth the price of admission alone for the minimum six month $9.99/per month agreement.



In my opinion, there have always been hits and misses with pay per view events before there was ever even the conception of a WWE Network. Before WWE under its previous banner of the WWF absorbed all the competition, there have always been some events that across the board don't always measure up to the hype amongst most fans. This isn't news in any way, shape, or form.



While I've heard this will of course impact bonuses for these performers paydays, which I don't really know many details of. And honestly, neither do the fans that are likely to post here. I personally find the Network to be something I will continue to enjoy as a fan and find to be a very awesome alternative to the way WWE has been doing business for so many years before.



Besides, with so many other revenue streams these days for WWE, I can't really speak as to whether or not it's fair that these performers won't be getting their payday bonuses. Again, who knows what the future holds as far as how WWE performers will be compensated for special events?



That's above all our heads and I really don't think us as fans really should speak much on that when we really don't know what goes on behind the scenes and how the legalese breaks down for all those contractual matters.



Anyway here is a quote in its original form from me when it came to commenting on Madden's article:




Quote:








Oh, let's be honest...many of the PPVs have been glorified RAWs well before there was ever a WWE Network. PUH-LEEZ.



That comment had received much approval, not that I was looking for such, I just wanted to voice an opinion. But it did draw a couple of posters' ire. In response to that statement, I was told that I'm a fan that "can't be made happy". Which I vehemently disagreed and countered those statements to those that stated such. My statement was a broad one, it wasn't specific to any year, era, organization and so forth.



With that said, I wanted to start a thread to get further opinion on this matter. I mean, personally speaking, I really don't think the quality of these events will be any better or worse with the advent of the Network. I really don't. In fact if anything, more people might have some incentive to enjoy them, and granted while the numbers for United States subscribers have been reported to be disappointing in some circles, this thing is going to eventually launch elsewhere in the world. Which of course WWE will then only benefit from.



For me, I love the idea of the WWE Network. I can't begin to explain how often I would chip in the same price I'd pay per month now for the Network, to see these events either as a host or a guest at someone's house. It amuses me that some people are so quick to complain about the quality of WWE's product and blame the Network for it. I know that this isn't the way everyone feels, but some do.



I mean with the Network now available here in the United States, who really wants to potentially spend for ONE event that they could put towards the subscription for the Network? Not to mention what else the service offers with archived material and original programs like WrestleMania Rewind.



Not to sound like a pitchman for WWE, but I mean seriously as someone who's not been as much of a fan as I used to be, I find the Network luring me back in and I find myself having more incentive to want to watch since I don't have to spend hundreds upon hundreds per year to watch the pay per view events. As far as other alternatives go, I'm not here to condemn or commend digital piracy through file sharing sites or torrenting but despite that being an option, I like the ability of watching these events live and also not worry about taking up precious hard drive space on my computer either.



Anyway, I just wanted to get some other perspectives on those when it comes to this viewpoint. Again, I stand by what I said for the cost of what is $120/per year. I'm only paying a fraction of what it would have cost me to buy these events from a cable/satellite service provider and I can always watch these events again at my leisure.



To me, I just think some people want to find excuses to place blame on why an event's quality could suffer, and to me I don't think the Network is going to be the reason why a particular event is going to suck. Again, there have been decades worth of events to prove otherwise.



Just my two cents. I look forward to getting the perspective of others.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire