mardi 23 septembre 2014

The Last Match of The Undertaker

There really isn’t any way to discredit The Undertaker as one of the best big men of all time, if not the best. Some would argue very seriously that he may even be the best wrestler of all time. This argument has some merit based on longevity, match quality, The Streak, ability and classic matches. Not to mention, The Undertaker character is the best in the history of the industry. The Undertaker is in the conversation no matter what happens from here on out, but if Wrestlemania XXX was the last time we ever seen him in the squared circle, aren’t you disappointed that one of the best ever went out the way he did?



From my perspective, I always believed The Undertaker would get an outstanding sendoff, and ideally that would be at Wrestlemania. Mark Calaway seems to be a very private man, so it isn’t out of his character that he wouldn’t want to big sendoff, but how about something bigger for the fans? The ending of The Streak will go down in history as one of the most epic moments of the industry as long as I’m writing wrestling articles. I have no problems with The Undertaker’s career, but is this really how The Phenom goes out? Brock Lesnar conquers The Streak and The Undertaker, but then The Deadman loses and walks slowly to the back before never being seen again? I know I wouldn’t want to end a Hall of Fame career like that before I hang up my boots in Cooperstown.



I realize the man is getting older, and he apparently didn’t do to well after the match with Lesnar. All we hear about Taker now is how sick he is, or his wife telling us to chill out. Either way, we aren’t hearing about the possibility of matches for The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 31. I always assumed he would come for revenge if The Streak was ever broken. Now, the rumors are for Lesnar to drop the strap to whoever at Mania 31, but what about The Undertaker. The character that wouldn’t die, and especially at Wrestlemania just loses, humbled and disappears. Basically, the character that couldn’t die, finally dies? It is poetic, but I’m still not satisfied.



It doesn’t have to be theatrical and full of all the “darkness”. Even though that is kind of The Undertaker’s thing. I’d just like to see a more appropriate ending to a performer that changed so much about what big men were capable of. Is it selfish to keep asking more from him at his age? Yes, it is. Is it too much to ask to risk his health at his age? Yes, it is. I admit that I’m being selfish here, and it isn’t my choice to begin with. I always just thought that as big as The Streak was, I thought it was an extension of The Undertaker. I thought he could exist without it. I think he skips Mania this year.



Wrestlemania 32 in Texas, his home state is where it should end. Maybe, he does come back for revenge with Lesnar. Maybe, we do get Sting vs. The Undertaker. It doesn’t really matter who he faces, but the last match of The Undertaker would be just as big, if not bigger than a streak match. Win, lose or draw, it would be a major selling point of Wrestlemania 32 to see the epilogue of The Undertaker as he ends his career complete rather than in defeat. Being humbled and conquered is never what The Deadman was about. I think The Undertaker’s legacy is near perfect, even if he never comes back. There is just a final symphony in Mark Calaway that he deserves to play. Not because he needs to win at Wrestlemania, but because his career and everything he has accomplished deserves to be remembered in a positive light as darkness falls.



http://ift.tt/1vdKXk9




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire