lundi 21 septembre 2015

Speeding up Win 10 - only works if you have a second physical disk

It's worth emphasising THIS ONLY WORKS IF YOU HAVE A SECOND PHYSICAL DISK ... and it can't be a USB.

One of the mods I always do on my machines is to fix the size of the paging file.
Usually - as an extra "twiddle" ... I create a dedicated partition so it's not in the way.
Not so much a speed thing ... mainly because it reduces fragmentation ...
On a system with a massive file that's constantly changing it's "shape" on the disk ... You are bound to get fragmentation ... making it a fixed size reduces this significantly.

Since win 98 I've dutifully followed the formula; ram x 2.5 ... and used that figure to create a partition at the very end of the disk. On systems with more than one disk ... the advice is to create the pagefile on the second disk. This means that on an IDE disk the second header ... on sata ... a seperate channel.
This allows windows to write simultaneously to both disks ... and so you get a small speed increase. ... As I say - it's mainly about fragmentation - the increase really is small.
If you have an SSD plus a mechanical drive ... moving the swap will also extend the life of the SSD ... so another (more substantial) win.
Having a poke round ... as those of you who've upgraded will know Windows 10 (and 8) also has a smaller swapfile.

I don't make a habit of measuring mine ... but the question was recently asked ... so I timed the startup times ... So I knew that Win 10 took 11 seconds ... note "took" not "takes"!
It's on an SSD,
Anyhow ... I've shifted both the Page and Swap files to their own partition at the end of my second (1Tb) drive.
I've timed it about ten times now ... and I swear I'm surprised ... the system now takes 9 seconds.

I wasn't expecting a measurable difference ... but it's there... 2 seconds!! It's not a massive change ... and what can you do in 2 seconds .... not much.
As I say it's about fragmentation not speed ... but while it's not massive - it's a significant increase ...

Anyone interested ...
Here's how to do the swap ...
http://ift.tt/1NPEYif

You'll need a partition manager such as easeus to change the partition layout ... I'm honestly not certain that it's worth the bother.... My system was already configured that way.


Speeding up Win 10 - only works if you have a second physical disk

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire